- U.S. Supreme Court
- D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals
- Second Circuit Court of Appeals
- Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Central District of California
- Northern District of California
- Southern District of California
Since founding the firm in 2006, Ryan Baker has established a reputation the media has described as “tenacious,” a “trailblazer” and “visionary.” His victories have been described as a “legal earthquake” and “landmark.” Ryan tries cases and argues appeals in state and federal courts across the country, including the U.S. and California Supreme Courts. He has also arbitrated cases before numerous arbitral organizations, including FINRA.
Ryan is at home in any courtroom. He represents both plaintiffs and defendants. His litigation practice areas include commercial and entertainment disputes, intellectual property (copyright, trademark, trade secret and patent), antitrust, securities, financial technology and white-collar crime.
Based on his experience and success, Ryan has recognized by the National Law Journal as a “Litigation Trailblazer” and “Elite Boutique Trailblazer,” a “Super Lawyer” by Los Angeles Magazine, a Benchmark Litigation “Star,” a “Top Lawyer” by Cablefax, and one of the “Top 100 Lawyers” in Los Angeles by Los Angeles Business Journal, which also honored him a “Leader in Law.” Many of these recognitions have been repeated.
Ryan regularly publishes in various academic and legal periodicals. He has appeared numerous times as an expert on NBC, Sky News and BBC to discuss various litigation matters. Ryan is frequently quoted in the Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, National Law Journal, Hollywood Reporter and numerous other national and international business and legal publications.
Ryan is a member of the Anti-Defamation League’s (“ADL’s”) Los Angeles Regional executive committee and legal advisory board, through which he advises the ADL on important legal issues to further the fight against bias and hate. He is also a member of the California Central District pro bono panel. Through that panel, he represents indigent individuals in civil rights and other cases in federal court. Ryan is also a fellow of the American Bar Foundation and Litigation Counsel of America.
Ryan received his law degree from Harvard Law School in 2000, where he was a member of the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau from 1998-2000. In 1997, he earned his bachelor’s degree in political science from Brigham Young University graduating magna cum laude with University Honors.
Prior to Waymaker (formerly Baker Marquart), Ryan practiced at Quinn Emanuel and Cooley.
- Benchmark Litigation “Star” (2020-2023)
- Super Lawyer (2014-2023)
- Elite Boutique Trailblazer (2022), National Law Journal
- Litigation Trailblazer (2019), National Law Journal
- Top 100 Lawyers in Los Angeles (2022), Los Angeles Business Journal
- Leader of Influence: Litigators & Trial Attorneys (2022), Los Angeles Business Journal
- Leader in Law (2022), Los Angeles Business Journal
- Legal Visionary (2022), Los Angeles Times Business of Law: Trends, Updates, Visionaries magazine
- Obtained summary adjudication for international restaurant group related to commercial lease that was never performed, in part, due to the COVID pandemic; following summary adjudication ruling, negotiated favorable settlement, which included client’s attorneys’ fees.
- Obtained a preliminary injunction in the California Central District for manufacturer of cosmetic implant against defendants alleged to have stolen trade secrets used to design a competing implant product.
- Argued and obtained reversal of trial court’s determination that client’s arbitration agreement was unconscionable. California Court of Appeal found that the trial court’s refusal to permit an evidentiary hearing prior to finding unconscionability was reversible error.
- In Ninth Circuit, argued and won affirmance of district court’s determination that civil RICO’s predicate act requirement was not satisfied by an allegation that certain intangible property was taken, where such property was not actually transferred.
- Argued in California Supreme Court to overturn broad anti-SLAPP ruling. Obtained unanimous ruling reversing trial court, which had granted an anti-SLAPP motion based on a confidential and allegedly defamatory report. The Court concluded the confidential report was not protected. Accordingly, the trial court overextended California’s anti-SLAPP law beyond the legislative intent. Opinion is published here. Oral argument video can be viewed here.
- Obtained vacatur of seven-figure judgment for client, a real estate holding and management company. Case subsequently settled for approximately 2 percent of the prior judgment amount.
- Obtained reversal of a Florida cyberstalking injunction in the Florida District Court of Appeals. After oral argument, the Florida appellate court agreed the issued injunction was an improper prior restraint of First Amendment free speech and that no cyberstalking had been established. The Appellate Court directed dismissal of the case in its entirety.
- Obtained “landmark” copyright ruling, in which the Central District of California court found, for the first time, that an Internet retransmitter of television programming could be entitled to a compulsory copyright license under Section 111 of the Copyright Act.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of client in patent infringement case against Cirque de Soleil related to Michael Jackson One show.
- Argued, and won, Ninth Circuit appeal against insurance companies on behalf of Mattel in the Barbie-Bratz litigation.
- Successfully defended multimillion dollar arbitration brought by international investment bank against client; after five days of arbitration, client prevailed on all claims and recovered attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Prevailed in two separate but related California appeals to protect client’s right to jury trial.
- Obtained a favorable settlement for The Carlyle Group in a dispute against the defendant seller of a building that contained asbestos.
- Defended manufacturer of revolutionary lightweight sport aircraft against engineering company. Obtained a walk-away settlement following the articulation of potential cross-claims.
- Secured dismissal of claims brought by a landlord against a popular Los Angeles nightclub.
- Pursued breach of contract claims on behalf of client DIRECTV against a former dealer. Prevailed in arbitration, obtaining an award of all damages sought, in addition to attorneys’ fees.
- Represented a major retailer and independent studio in a dispute related to the motion picture Monster. After a week of jury trial in Texas state court, obtained a favorable settlement.
- Filed action for breach of a loan agreement on behalf of his client, a real estate developer, in Maine federal court. Obtained summary judgment on all claims; also obtained sanctions against the defendants based on defendants’ discovery misconduct.
- Represented a software company seeking to prevent competitor from infringement. Obtained an unprecedented preliminary injunction for client, which enabled that client to protect its intellectual property while pursuing claims against a competitor.
- Represented a major grocery store chain against discrimination claims brought by a former employee in a week-long jury trial. Client settled on favorable terms while appeal was pending.
- Defended Rolls-Royce in a dispute related to the construction of an oil platform. Obtained summary judgment of all claims.
- Avery Dennison Corporation
- Bank of the West
- The Carlyle Group
- FilmOn Networks
- Funtastic Limited (Australia)
- ICON Aircraft
- International Medical Devices
- Rolls-Royce Energy Systems
- Sumifru Corporation (Philippines)
- Sunnova Solar Energy
- University of Southern California
- Zions Bankcorporation
Other Professional Activities
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Anti-Defamation League, Regional Executive Board, Legal Advisory Committee
- California Central District Pro Bono Panel
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- Five Partners Named Southern California Super Lawyers 2023
- Partner Ryan Baker Named to ADL’s National Commission
- Partner Ryan Baker Interviewed by CBS News Morning about Social Media Companies Facing Lawsuit From Parents
- Partner Ryan Baker Interviewed by BBC on Balenciaga Ad Scandal and Subsequent Lawsuit
- Four Partners and Waymaker Recognized in Benchmark Litigation California 2023
- Johnny Depp Fans Rush to Fork Over Cash for Unsealed Court Docs. Did It Backfire?
- Co-Managing Partner Ryan Baker Named 2022 Leader of Influence: Litigators & Trial Attorneys by Los Angeles Business Journal
- Partners Keri Curtis Axel, Ryan Baker and Brian Klein Named Elite Boutique Trailblazers 2022 by the National Law Journal
- Partners Ryan Baker and Scott Malzahn Honored as Legal Visionaries 2022 in the Business of Law by Los Angeles Times B2B Publishing
- Ryan Baker Interviewed on Sky News immediately following Johnny Depp v. Amber Heard Verdict
- Ryan Baker Quoted by BBC.com on Johnny Depp v. Amber Heard Verdict
- Co-Founders Ryan Baker and Jaime Marquart Quoted in Reuters Story about Law Firm Names
- Co-Managing Partner Ryan Baker Named one of the Top 100 Lawyers by Los Angeles Business Journal
- Ryan Baker Quoted by Newsweek on Johnny Depp v. Amanda Heard Trial Break
- Ryan Baker Discusses Privacy Issues Related to Racy Rep. Madison Cawthorn video on NBC NOW Tonight with Joshua Johnson
- Ryan Baker Quoted by BBC on Depp v. Heard One Month into Trial
- BBC’s ‘Good Morning Britain’ Asks Partner Ryan Baker About Ongoing High-Profile Litigation Between Johnny Depp and Amber Heard
- Ryan Baker Quoted by BBC on Johnny Depp and Amber Heard Defamation Trial and SLAPP
- Ryan Baker Quoted by Vulture on Johnny Depp and Amber Heard Defamation Trial and anti-SLAPP
- Three Waymaker Lawyers Lead Pro Bono Win for Foreign Client in Trademark Infringement Case
- Ryan Baker Quoted by Business Insider on Hollywood M&A Frenzy
- Five Partners Named Southern California Super Lawyers 2022
- Three Waymaker Lawyers Named 2021 Leaders in Law by Los Angeles Business Journal
- Ryan Baker Quoted in Business Insider on How Netflix co-CEO Comments on Dave Chappelle May Impact 13 Reasons Why Lawsuit
- Three Partners and Waymaker Recognized in Benchmark Litigation California 2022
- Partner Ryan Baker Quoted in Law.com about Courts Pushing Civil Cases to Settle Due to COVID Backlog
- Ryan G. Baker Elected to Anti-Defamation League’s Los Angeles Regional Executive Committee
- Partners Ryan Baker and Teresa Huggins Score Complete Victory in a Two-Day Arbitration, Validating Electronically Executed End-User Agreements
- Partner Ryan Baker Quoted About Confidentiality Requests in Data Breach Notifications – Legaltech News
- CA Supreme Court to Consider anti-SLAPP Framework in Geiser v. Kuhns – Daily Journal
- Law Firm Names Are Getting More Interesting - Law.com’s Mid-Market Report
- Ryan Baker Talks Entertainment Industry Contracts with Variety
- LA firm Baker Marquart rebrand as Waymaker - Daily Journal
- Can Parler, Or Its Amazon Suit, Survive? - Law360
- Baker Marquart is now Waymaker
- Baker Marquart [Waymaker] Wraps Negligence Claim for Cannabis Client; Scores Favorable Settlement