An experienced trial and appellate attorney, Melissa Meister has argued cases and appeals in state and federal courts across the country, including the United States Supreme Court.
She is a former Department of Justice Trial Attorney and Assistant United States Attorney who handles high-stakes criminal and regulatory defense matters and civil litigation and has worked on numerous parallel criminal and civil investigations and prosecutions, including cases involving fraud and False Claims Act matters. She also has extensive experience conducting internal investigations.
Her clients range from Fortune 500 companies to blockchain and cryptocurrency startups, as well as hospitals, doctors, large pension funds, public universities, individuals in a variety of criminal and civil matters throughout the country. In some instances, she has represented a corporate whistleblower and guides the individual through the legal process.
Melissa is a former Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals clerk for Judge William C. Canby, a former legal writing professor, and her law review note was cited by the United States Supreme Court in Kennedy v. Louisiana in 2008.
She attended the University of Arizona for both college and law school. During law school, Melissa won the moot court competition and was an editor for the University of Arizona Law Review where she graduated summa cum laude and Order of the Coif.
Melissa is currently admitted to practice in California, Arizona, and the District of Columbia.
In the community, Melissa serves on the National Legal Commission of the American Youth Soccer Organization (“AYSO”), a California non-profit corporation that is the largest youth soccer organization in the United States. As part of her appointment, Melissa works on AYSO’s diversity and inclusion initiatives. She is a volunteer Little League baseball and an AYSO 6U soccer coach.
- Secured a complete dismissal of charges against client mid-trial for defendant in a federal wire fraud trial in the Central District of California.
- Obtained a not guilty verdict on all counts in a public corruption trial in California state court.
- Represented a whistleblower in federal FCA case alleging healthcare fraud at 14 hospitals throughout California; secured over $60 million settlement for the United States and whistleblower.
- Obtained $10 million jury verdict for client who was molested repeatedly at defendant’s public facility due to the negligence of public facility.
- Investigated corporate malfeasance on behalf of CEO and CFO at a pension fund valued at more than $12 billion.
- Member of high-profile investigation team tasked with investigating culture of sexual harassment and abuse within the marching band at The Ohio State University and proposing system-wide solutions for its eradication.
Other Professional Activities
- Women’s White-Collar Defense Association
- Litigation Counsel of America
- Melissa Meister Interviewed by KNX Radio about LAPD Investigation into Leaked of Recording of Council Members
- Melissa Meister Quoted by Law 360 On Paige Thompson Avoiding Prison Sentence
- Melissa Meister Appointed to the National Legal Commission of the American Youth Soccer Organization
- Melissa Meister Named to Best Lawyers in America (2023) for Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Melissa Meister Quoted by NewsNation Rush Hour about Amazon Criticized for Sharing Doorbell Video with Police
- Melissa Meister Quoted by Law360 on DOJ’s Listening Problem in Trials
- The Trial of Paige Thompson, the Alleged Capital One Hacker, is Underway with Brian Klein, Melissa Meister, and Emily Stierwalt Acting as Defense Counsel
- Melissa Meister Quoted by Law360 on DOJ’s Antitrust Leniency Overhaul
- Three Waymaker Lawyers Lead Pro Bono Win for Foreign Client in Trademark Infringement Case
- Melissa Meister Named to Best Lawyers in America (2022) for Criminal Defense: White Collar